Communications and Fundraising Manager
We are looking for an engaging storyteller, with passion and creativity for building communications assets and materials, who will develop and implement strategic and action plans to outreach a wide range of content to various audiences around the world. An important part of this role will be to lead on impact reporting for funders and on creating designed materials to engage high-impact partners in our work.
Tactical Tech works on challenges of data-driven technologies. We strive to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society. The Communications and Fundraising Manager is part of the Development team which is responsible for fundraising, grant management, partnership management, monitoring and evaluation as well as organisation communications. If you have experience and skills in diverse modern communications channels and tools, you like working on multiple globally impactful projects and would like to become part of a diverse and dynamic team in a Berlin-based international NGO, this could be a perfect match!
In this role as a Communications and Fundraising Manager your tasks will focus around:
- Communication Strategy: Build upon existing strategy papers to further develop the communications function to support organisation growth.
- Action Plans: Develop and implement action plans that leverage the projects’ numerous and globally far reaching outputs and events.
- Project Communications: Work with projects to develop inspiring impact stories. Lead the creation of communications assets for storytelling which are outreached through social media. Support project teams on design for outputs (branding, proof-reading, grant communications requirements).
- Organisation Communications: Manage the eNewsletter, the social media channels and keep the website updated together with the support of the Development Administrator. Handle requests from media and support staff with interviews. Prepare and outreach the annual report.
- Communication Projects: Develop and implement communication and media plans for an exhibition in Berlin in summer 2022 and for Tactical Tech’s 20th anniversary in 2023.
- Fundraising support: Create designed project portfolios that support fundraising efforts and encourage high impact partners to engage with our work. Take lead on impact reporting and storytelling to improve quality of funder proposals and reports. Contribute also through proof-reading. With the support of the Development Administrator create an archive of sample proposal templates, sample texts, images, branding.
- You graduated with an advanced degree in Communications, Media, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or other related area.
- You have at least 5 years work experience including 3+ years of developing and implementing strategic communication plans preferably for an international NGO.
- You have proven experience and skills in leading the creation of (or co-creating) a variety communications assets such as text, design or video for social media outreach to diverse audiences.
- Your skills and experience include using social media channels extensively and you understand current trends.
- You are an excellent writer and have contributed to editing and proofreading documents and communication materials. You have experience communicating with audiences from diverse cultural and social backgrounds.
- In a previous role your tasks included updating websites and possibly working on website development projects or with design software.
- Knowledge and experience in writing about issues related to technology and society in a human rights context is desirable.
- Native level written and spoken English, other languages are an asset.
- Excellent organising skills, great attention to detail, comfortable with iterative processes in a fast and dynamic environment.
- As a self-starter, you work independently and across teams, with limited supervision and to pro-actively seek information and propose solutions.
- Experience working with partners and stakeholders from diverse and international backgrounds is an asset. You understand and are sensitive to political situations and different views of the world.
- Contacts and knowledge of international media landscape is a definite asset.
- We work in a collaborative and supportive way, you will enjoy working with us if you are committed to an active listening and learning culture.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, interest in issues related to the topics related to democracy, civil liberties, human rights.
- Tactical Tech’s team is Berlin-based, and preference will be given to candidates located or relocating to Berlin and with an existing legal right to work in Germany.
- A full-time position for a limited term, 12-month contract, starting February. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds, organisational needs and performance.
- Competitive salary within the non-governmental sector in Berlin.
- International, lively and friendly team of engaged professionals.
- A culture of diversity and inclusion, with team members from various places in the world and backgrounds, who bring in a variety of professional and personal experiences and dedication to Tactical Tech’s values and goals.
- Tactical Tech is committed to equal employment opportunity for all.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours and possibility of remote work divided into in-person collaborative meetings and other tasks that can be performed remotely.
- An attractive place to work in the centre of Berlin.
- During the current Covid-19 pandemic, we mainly work remotely with in-person meetings dependent on the developments and restrictions in place.
If you are interested in the role, but are not sure you fulfill the criteria or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Please apply by January 30th via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Communications and Fundraising Manager” with your CV and a covering letter in English (PDF format, preferably in one file) outlining your suitability for the post and your availability. Please provide two contacts for references from previous jobs, ideally similar positions. We would contact them at a later stage of recruitment process with your prior approval.
We don’t have capacity to provide feedback to all the candidates. We will reach out only to short listed candidates. Please note if you haven’t been contacted within 14 days from the application deadline, your application has been unsuccessful.
Tactical Tech is an international NGO whose mission is to build capacity at the intersection of human rights and technology in order to create more equitable, democratic and sustainable societies.
We explore how digital technologies affect rights, equity and sustainability and how they alter power structures. We work to build the capacity of civil society organisations and communities worldwide to explore and mitigate the impact of digital technologies on their immediate context and on society at large. Our work informs the responses of key stakeholders, provides practical solutions and enables our audiences to make more informed decisions and act with agency.