Tactical Tech is looking for a committed individual with at least 2 years directly related experience to come on board as Finance Coordinator.
Tactical Tech is looking for a committed individual with at least 2 years directly related experience to come on board as Finance Coordinator. You will be responsible for all accounting related matters: book-keeping, online and offline documentation filing and banking including salary transfer and monitoring payment of invoices. As part of this role, you will ensure procedures related to payment and procurement are followed and adhered to according to internal policies, legal requirements and grant conditions before issuing payments.
The position requires a high level of discretion due to the exposure to sensitive personal and organisational information as well as a high level of focus, attention to detail and meticulousness. The Finance Coordinator is supported by the Finance Manager and the Deputy Director.
FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING
- Ensure proper books of accounts are kept and maintained in Tactical Tech’s accounting system (Quickbooks online) and other systems/tools.
- Ensure the accurate documentation of financial information and maintenance of all financial records for projects and for the organiszation.
- Record accounting transactions such as assets, liabilities, monitor and track payments due, and support the preparation of balance sheets, income and expense statements and statement of cashflow.
- Ensure monthly transfer of staff salaries as well as transfers of the payroll deductions to the relevant government authorities.
- Issue payments to third party suppliers based on approved invoices whilst ensuring compliance by third parties. Reconcile bank accounts.
Required skills and experience
- This post will be based in Berlin, Germany and you must be legally entitled to work in Germany.
- Over 2 years’ experience in finances or accounting in a comparable organisation - a medium sized international NGO - accompanied by completed relevant university-level studies.
- Excellent bookkeeping and accounting skills, meticulous with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to allocate costs independently, identify issues early and provide good suggestions for alternatives.
- An understanding of legal and compliance issues related to NGOs. Experience with or understanding of Stichting regulations and of public administration in Germany is considered a plus.
- Experience contributing towards financial reports for different types of grants such as from governments, international bodies, and foundations.
- Ability to contribute within a team and to work independently alike.
- Experience in contributing to preparation of audits will be considered a plus.
- Excellent communication skills and openness when communicating within a highly diverse and international team. Fluent written and spoken English (working language). German skills will be considered favourably.
- Able to work with limited supervision. Keen and pro-active
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values
What we offer
- Starting with a 12-month contract on the 1st November. We plan to extend this position, depending on available funds, organisational needs and performance. Salary is within established parameters of 36,000Euro FTE (equivalent to 18,000Euro for 50%/20hrs).
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days plus an additional end of the year break.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours, home office and possibility of occasional remote work after probation.
- An attractive place to work in the center of Berlin, our office is in Rosenthaler Platz and next year we will relocate to the new Publix – House of Journalism „ in Neukölln!
- A culture of diversity and inclusion, with team members from various places around the world and backgrounds, who bring a variety of professional and personal experiences and dedication to Tactical Tech’s values and goals.
How to Apply
We foresee this role suitable to someone in their initial career development stages as well as someone with several years of experience, so we welcome applicants of all experience levels.
Tactical Tech is committed to equal employment opportunity for all. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. Tactical Tech is committed to achieving this through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and non-discrimination policy in all aspects of employment and work.
Please apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Finance Coordinator” with your CV (max 2 pages) and a motivation letter in PDF format (max 1 page). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is selected. There will be at least two interviews, the first online and the second in person in our office in Berlin.
Please provide contact details of two references contacts, we would contact them at a later stage of recruitment process with your prior approval.
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted. If you haven’t been contacted within 14 days from the application deadline, your application has been unsuccessful.
About Tactical Tech
Tactical Tech is an international NGO whose mission is to build capacity at the intersection of human rights and technology in order to create more equitable, democratic and sustainable societies.
We explore how digital technologies affect rights, equity and sustainability and how they shift power structures. We work to build the capacity of civil society organisations, communities and citizens worldwide to explore and mitigate the social, economic, environmental and cultural impact of digital technologies on their immediate context and on society at large. Our work informs the responses of key stakeholders, provides practical solutions and enables our audiences to make more informed decisions and take action. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Road map for the role
In the first month, you will complete your onboarding, have an understanding of Tactical Tech’s operations and have started building relationships with the team. You will start understanding different components of your role and will start fulfilling several of your regular tasks, such as recording accounting transactions.
After three months, you will have a good understanding of your role, having already taken responsibility of day-to-day tasks, such as accounting, filing and banking. You will have established good working relationships with key project staff.
After six months, you will be settled within a smooth workflow. You have absolute clarity on your responsibilities. Possibly you started identifying areas for improvement in your processes.
After 1 year, you will be fully at ease in your role as Finance Coordinator, working proactively with managers and Senior Management. You will have started to look at your impact beyond immediate tasks, e.g., in terms of knowledge capture or process optimization, contribution to the overall strategy and direction. You established yourself as the go to person internally for all matters related to payments, filing, banking, reporting, procurement and inquiries.