[Job Opportunity] Human Resources Manager
Tactical Tech is a Berlin-based NGO working to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society. Our work focuses on building the capacity and resilience of others to respond and adapt to how technology changes our societies – from misinformation to digital democracy to digital dependency.
We are looking for an engaged HR generalist with strong organisational and interpersonal skills, committed to a non-profit cause to run and shape our HR operations, ensure compliance and adherence to labour law and build up and support our strong, committed, diverse team of 20 to 30 employees.
The HR Manager will ensure the implementation of the current HR strategy (2022 – 2024), will be responsible for the HR function and will recommend and develop related organisational policies and support the creation of a shared culture for the organisation.
We’re looking for someone who loves to work with people from around the world, is open, supportive and positive, enjoys a creative environment and whose values align with Tactical Tech values of diversity, inclusion and respect.
The Human Resources Manager reports to the Chief Operations Officer, is a member of the Organisational Team and works closely with the Senior Management Team.
Your key responsibilities will include the following:
- HR Strategy and Organisational Policy: implement and track the development of the HR / People strategy and the development of the organisation’s HR function. `Formulate and recommend HR concepts, policies and objectives to the Senior Management Team, communicate them to staff, and verify and update existing internal policies. Communicate developments and changes related to HR to the team promptly and clearly.
- HR Administration: Maintain and monitor contract and payroll administration, employment documentation and certification in line with organisational needs, official deadlines and legal compliance, including processing the monthly payroll with an external service provider;
- Recruitment, onboarding and off-boarding of team members: Work with senior management and teams to design role and job descriptions, coordinate recruitment and onboarding of new team members while ensuring great candidate experience, providing new team members with a clear and inspiring orientation process, as well as guiding positive and supportive off-boarding for staff transitioning out.
- Performance and growth: monitoring, innovating and supporting performance evaluation and employee recognition processes and measures. Ensuring a professional and supportive process is in place for annual reviews and professional development.
- Progress, monitoring and reporting: update and prepare HR statistical data for the Senior Management Team and Board. Carry out and analyse quarterly staff engagement surveys and present their results to the team. Recommend to Senior Management HR-related changes to policies and guidelines, support ongoing learning and development of the organisation in terms of team wellbeing and communicate relevant insights, developments and plans to the team.
- Relations and well-being: be a contact and guiding person for payroll questions and related matters, employment-related inquiries from employees, and line managers referring to and facilitating complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff and Senior Management.
You will be a part of...
- a wider process of organisational development to plan, communicate, and integrate the results of strategic planning throughout the organisation.
- implement initiatives and programs to support our people strategy and core values
- work proactively with managers to identify key competence needs, opportunities, and challenges for overall employee experience, development and performance.
- team and salary planning.
- A people person, service-oriented, and a great communicator, you are able to gain trust and forge great relationships driven by respect. You are trustworthy, with a proven ability to handle confidential information with high organisational awareness and sensitivity.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in HR, preferably in an NGO environment.
- You have good knowledge of German Labour Law and / or have an ease of learning about regulations and adapting to new requirements when needed.
- Professional language proficiency in English (organisational language), German B2+ level, and fluency are distinctive advantages.
- You enjoy and already have experience working with diverse, intercultural teams and work environments.
- As a self-starter, you work independently and across teams to proactively seek information and propose solutions.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech’s mission and values, interest in issues related to the topics related to democracy, civil liberties, and human rights an asset.
- Tactical Tech’s team is Berlin-based, and having a German residency is a requirement to be employed for this position. A preference will be given to candidates located in or planning already their relocation to Berlin.
- A part-time position preferred up to 75% (full time possible) for a limited term, 12-month contract, preferably starting 1st March or earlier. We plan to extend this position, depending on available funds, organisational needs and performance.
- A salary for this position starting EUR 42,000.00 gross per year (FTE), depending on relevant experience
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days and an additional end-of-the-year break.
- A culture of diversity and inclusion, with team members from various places around the world and diverse backgrounds who bring a variety of professional and personal experiences and dedication to Tactical Tech’s values and goals.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours and the possibility of remote work divided into in-person collaborative meetings and other tasks that can be performed remotely;
- An attractive place to work in the centre of Berlin.
- During the current Covid-19 pandemic, we keep our staff safe, limiting in-person meetings and office work depending on the developments and restrictions in place.
As with any position at Tactical Tech, we cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their strengths, views, and experiences. Tactical Tech is committed to achieving this through the application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and non-discrimination policy in all aspects of employment and work. We strongly encourage applications from members of any marginalised communities and individuals whose identities are under-represented in this profession.
If you are interested in the role but are unsure if you fulfil the criteria or have any questions, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Please apply by January 15th via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “HR Manager” with your CV and short cover letter (PDF format in one file preferably) outlining your relevant skills, suitability for the post, and availability.
Please provide two contacts for references from previous jobs, ideally similar positions. We will contact them later in the recruitment process with your prior approval.
We apologise, but we don’t have the capacity to provide feedback to all the candidates. We will reach out only to short-listed candidates. Please note if you haven’t been contacted within 14 days of the application deadline, your application has been unsuccessful.
Road map for the role:
In the first month, you will complete your onboarding, understand Tactical Tech’s operations, and start building relationships with the team. You will start understanding different components of your role.
After three months, you will understand your role well, having already taken responsibility for payroll and contract administration, recruitment and staff relations. You will contribute to people initiatives and programmes, including individual development and appraisal process. You will have established good working relationships with key project staff.
After six months, you will have established a smooth workflow in your role and have absolute clarity on your responsibilities. You will have started co-coordinating existing processes and initiating new programmes or initiatives. You identified areas for improvement which you contribute to and bring your own experience and knowledge to the department.
*After one year**,* you will be entirely at ease in your role as an HR Manager, working proactively with managers and Senior Management. You will have started to look at your impact beyond immediate tasks, e.g. in terms of knowledge capture or process optimisation, contribution to the overall strategy and direction. You established yourself as the go-to person internally for all matters related to payroll, labour relations, personnel developments and inquiries.